Monday, September 27, 2004

Motivation for the days following Yom Kippur

If a person says:
“I will” - that is bad;
“I want to” - that too is not good.
“I’m already doing it” - that is truly good.

(Kotzker Rebbe)

~~~

Yearning is of value only if you put it into action as a driving force for
reaching higher levels. Otherwise, it will tend to create within
you a subtle despair. Without your being aware of it, you will be
feeling, “I have been yearning for so many years and I have
accomplished nothing. I must have no further potential.” In the end,
you will stop yearning.

(Piaceszna Rebbe)

1 Comments:

At July 27, 2011 at 4:55:00 PM EDT, Blogger Damesek said...

You reminded me how much I used to enjoy your blog so I came to check out some of your older posts and found this. My Rebbe, Rav Twerski, speaks about these two ideas from time to time, reminding us that as much as we want to be close to Hashem, we must never fool ourselves that our yearning and good intentions mean that we have achieved something. One can spend his entire life yearning but never doing. How sobering that is. I am going to quote your quotes on my blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home