Monday, October 11, 2004

My Guilty Pleasure

This Rosh Hashanah I resolved to come to terms with one of my guilty pleasures. While this was not something that was specifically against halachah, it was certainly something that I knew was not good for my neshoma. This guilty pleasure polluted my ears, and thus my subconscious.

Listening to this totally contradicted my other actions during the day. ....yet for 8 years it was something I "enjoyed".

Since Rosh Hashanah I am happy to say that I have ceased partaking in my guilty pleasure.

To give myself extra resolve I have begun a new ritual before leaving for work. I have started lerning a few short chapters of Tzava'at Harivash. Tzava'at Harivash is an anthology of teachings and instructions attributed to the Baal Shem Tov and his successor, the Maggid of Mezritch. I have found that the holy words of the Baal Shem Tov help uplift the neshoma above the crassness of the world and help purify one's thoughts.

I hope that I will be successful in my resolve and successful in taking the kedusha of Tishrei along with me into the rest of the months of the year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home