Tuesday, November 02, 2004

I am voting for....

My son.

He is still a baby - not even 6 months old.

My wife thinks that this is ridiculous.

She thinks that I am making a mockery of the whole system by writing in a candidate that is not even eligible to be president.

Well, that is my decision.

Call me silly.

Call me ridiculous.

Tell me I am just "throwing my vote away".

Go ahead tell me.

After work I am going to vote for him unless I hear a reason why a vote for either candidate is not a vote in favor of the expulsion of Jews from their homes and the uprooting of Jewish cemeteries in Gaza.

Both candidates support this.

I don't.

In my view, voting for a candidate would be giving my tacit approval to expulsion. Morally, I cannot do it. I cannot turn my back on my fellow Jews in Gaza.

So, this election I am thinking outside the two party political paradigm that we are prisoner to and voting for a candidate who doesn't engage in mud slinging,

a candidate who has a clean record (except for his diapers),

a candidate who isn't swayed by large corporate donations,

a candidate who isn't a millionaire himself,

and a candidate who still views the world with pure eyes and a pure heart.

I am voting for my son.


3 Comments:

At November 2, 2004 at 11:37:00 AM EST, Blogger Anshel's Wife said...

I don't know your son, but you seem to be a gentle, yet firm, focused, caring, intelligent person. If I knew your name, I could have written you in.

And you are not wasting your vote. This is America! You can vote for whomever you please. That's why that little extra line is on the ballot. You are exercising your rights and privileges.

 
At November 3, 2004 at 10:44:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are so many important issues that an Orthodox Jew should care about when voting for the President of the United States. Those issues could include the President's stance on school vouchers, "gay marriage," abortion, especially partial birth/infanticide abortion, government control and involvement in your life, terrorism, the use of military forces, etc, etc, etc. Certainly, the President's stance on the issues in Gaza is important.

But, an Orthodox Jew should have a world view, should be able to evaluate the issues, and conclude which candidates world-view most closely coincides with the view of the Torah.

I votes for re-electing President Bush.

 
At February 4, 2005 at 11:07:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The candidate who's view most closely coincided with the view of the Torah was not George Bush.

Or have you forgotten that the Torah doesn't accept Jesus, and everything Bush wants hinges on Jesus?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home