Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Ignoring Gemara - A Simple Jew's Misguided Thinking

I have tried in the past to lern Gemara but was never successful. For some reason I just couldn't concentrate on it. Damages, contracts, ritual purity, agricultural laws, etc..... I came to the misguided conclusion that Gemara just wasn't for me. I couldn't maintain interest in the subject matter. Finally, after a few attempts to maintain a daily study schedule of Gemara, I just stopped lerning it.

On Sunday I went to a Gemara shiur at my shul and decided to start lerning Gemara again with a renewed enthusiasm. In the past I tried to keep pace with the Daf Yomi schedule and was quickly overwhelmed. This time I am going to start with Brochos and lern it very, very slowly. I ordered a Gemara yesterday and I will start lerning as soon as it comes via UPS.

I now realize the error in my thinking about Gemara. A Jew can't lern Torah and totally ignore Gemara. A Jew must search to find Hashem within its pages.

G-d willing, this time I will be matzliach.

2 Comments:

At November 14, 2004 at 1:39:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brochos has a lot of aggadata, so you may find that you enjoy it more.
Good luck!

 
At July 19, 2005 at 9:04:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you hatzlacha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home