Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Pilpul - not for me....yet

I never went to yeshiva. I am not used to the pilpul that goes on there.

I have found that lerning Gemara takes total concentration. When lerning a blatt of Gemara I need total silence. If someone else is talking I just can't concentrate. I don't know how well I would do in a yeshiva with the constant hum of lerning in the background.

I know that optimally Gemara should be lerned with a chavrusa, however given my current work schedule, commute, and familial obligations, I do not have that luxury at the current time. So, for the time being, I lern on my own....slowly, slowly.

---
Every Jew learning Torah must strive to reach for the hidden, the secret, within it. Whether he is learning the text on a simple scholarly level or studying the arcane meaning, he must always try to reach for the mystery, which is the light of G-d in that Torah.

(Piaceszna Rebbe)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home