Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Genealogical breakthrough!

I am constantly amazed by the power of the internet. Using information I obtained from Yad Vashem's new database I was able to get in contact with a lost branch of my family. While most of my family left Ukraine before the Holocaust, there were some that remained behind and were killed.

A Page of Testimony on one of my relative's who was murdered by the Ukrainian militia provided contact information for his surviving son. He is now living in Jerusalem and is almost 90 years old.

I sent him a long detailed letter a few weeks ago and during my lunch break today I called him on the phone.

My family has been united once again!

Thank you G-d for the internet. It can be used as a tool for the good.

1 Comments:

At December 23, 2004 at 12:20:00 PM EST, Blogger PsychoToddler said...

That's a great story. When I was on AOL, I did a search of my last name (very uncommon name) and found a bunch of people in PA with the same name. Turns out they were all Jewish and we were able to trace our roots back to a common great-grandfather. Very cool.

A side story, one of them was living in Manhattan at the time, in the same building as my sister, and was getting her mail!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home