Friday, January 14, 2005

Biting Off More Than You Can Chew

The flame of G-d burned within me when I was young: I believed that I would return the whole world to good. As I grew older, my enthusiasm waned, and I said: "I see that I will not be able to fix the entire world, so I will try to improve the people of my own city." Years passed, and I realized that I had bitten off more than I could chew. I then decided that it would be enough to better my own family. Now that I am old, I no longer dream. My only prayer is that I should improve myself.

(Rabbi Chaim of Sanz)

3 Comments:

At January 25, 2005 at 11:43:00 PM EST, Blogger Meshulam said...

I heard the same story told in the name of Rabbi Elimelech of Lizensk...

Two years ago, on Rosh Hashonnah, I heard a Rov give over a Chassidisher Maase in the name of the 5th Lubavitcher Rebbe. One of the men in the shul afterwards came and complimented him on his rendition of the story, but had to correct him and tell him that the story was really about Rabbi Levi Yitzchok of Berditchev. :-)

 
At January 25, 2005 at 11:43:00 PM EST, Blogger Meshulam said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At January 25, 2005 at 11:43:00 PM EST, Blogger Meshulam said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home