Thursday, January 13, 2005

A Fragile House of Cards

Our plans for the future can be likened to a fragile house of cards. We build the house card by card, layer upon layer, and then if one card is removed, the whole thing falls apart. I used to construct these fragile house of cards in my mind up until the year I spent in Israel in my early twenties. At one point in my life I was 100% certain that I was going to make aliyah and become a Knesset member for the Likud party.

A lot has changed since then.

I don't live in Israel, I am not a Knesset member, I no longer even support the policies of the Likud party. I continue to live in Golus not knowing what the next year, the next month, the next week, or the next day holds. Sometimes it feels as if the world is spinning so fast that it is difficult to hold on. Having two small children teaches me that it is extremely difficult to plan anything. It teaches me that sometimes we are not as in control as we imagine ourselves to be.

I set goals and work towards them and try not to build these fragile houses of cards anymore.

3 Comments:

At January 13, 2005 at 6:42:00 PM EST, Blogger Keren Perles said...

Sadly enough, I don't think I'm quite at that stage yet. I'm still trying to build my little house of cards, angry with the breezes that keep flattening it. Over and over again I reshape parts of it, thinking that this time it will last. And somehow, it never does.

 
At January 13, 2005 at 10:40:00 PM EST, Blogger Anshel's Wife said...

I was told once that a Jew should never get too comfortable where he is. I'm assuming that is physically and emotionally and spiritually.

In light of recent family events, I see how I was feeling too comfortable being happy with my life. Not that I shouldn't be happy with my life. And not that I should sit around and mope. Maybe my optomistic attitude is really naivetee. Maybe my husband is right to worry all the time. Then he doesn't get disappointed.

 
At January 14, 2005 at 7:08:00 AM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Thank you for your comments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home