Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Is A Simple Jew a Lubavitcher?

I found it interesting to learn that I was perceived to be "on the path of Chabad Chassidus" even after what I had written here.

As a genealogist, I don't think I would become a Lubavitcher unless I discovered that my family had Chabad roots. To the best of my knowledge this is not the case. I have discovered that Tanya and Shulchan Aruch HaRav were printed at the Jewish printing press in my family's shtetl, but this is not conclusive evidence that my ancestors were Lubavitchers since other Chassidic seforim were printed at this printing press as well.

There is no doubt that I have been influenced and inspired by Chabad Chassidus. The Lubavitcher Rebbe was one of the greatest tzadikkim of my lifetime, however he was not my Rebbe.

Growing up without defined family minhagim I continue to search for the path of my ancestors.

--
Feedback request: I learned how to put on tefillin according to the Chabad minhag and continue to do it to this day. I do recognize that Chabad's tefillin hand-winding minhag is different from that of other Chassidic groups. I wonder if I should change my hand winding pattern to be similar to the way other Chassidim of Ukrainian origin do it. I would greatly appreciate feedback from those who are knowledgeable in this area (i.e. Hirhurim, Cross-Currents, Rabbi Lazer Brody [if you are out there reading this]). Thank you in advance for your assistance.

1 Comments:

At January 4, 2005 at 10:43:00 AM EST, Blogger Gil Student said...

I don't think you have to or necessarily should change your practice. But I believe that you can if you do hataras nedarim. This is definitely a question for your LOR.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home