Monday, January 03, 2005

..or you can not

There is nothing like a visit from your parents. It clearly manifests the person you are, all your strengths and weaknesses. One my biggest weaknesses is that I worry too much.

In the midst of this past weekend's visit my wife said something that was so simple, yet so true. "You have a choice", she said, "You can worry, or you can not."

Intellectually I know why I should not worry over little things, however it is something that it is extremely hard for me to stop doing.

I am going to try to adopt my wife's outlook.

--

I learned this wisdom from my ancestors:
There are two things it is forbidden to worry about:
That which it is possible to fix, And that which it is impossible to fix.
What is possible to fix - fix it, and why worry?
What is impossible to fix - how will worrying help?

(Rebbe Yechiel Michel of Zlotchov)

2 Comments:

At January 3, 2005 at 6:25:00 PM EST, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

I worry about my worrying. It is a hard habit to break.

 
At January 4, 2005 at 1:18:00 PM EST, Blogger Anshel's Wife said...

I like your wife. She sounds like me. I'm very laid back. I have such strong faith in G-d and "the system" and my husband and everyone else, that I always believe everything will be okay. For sure, sometimes I worry about things, big and small. I always worry about my kids, but not that gut-wrenching worry. How is their day? Are they having a good time? Are they learning? How do they feel? I worry about the trouble I always manage to get myself into because I just can't stand to see an injustice. Unlike many members of my community, I have yet to become jaded and I constantly call people in authority to task. I usually end up the one with tsuris after that.

My husband tells me I don't worry enough and that's why he worries so much. He's worrying for BOTH of us. I think I am also very naive. I believe in the goodness of people and the world and G-d. Even when it's raining, the sun is shining in my heart. It's a nice thought, but also a liability.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home