Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Remembering the Revolt - February 1, 1944

Sixty years ago on this date, the Irgun Zvai Leumi (IZL) declared their revolt against the British Mandate in Palestine.

As a teenager, I found the book "The Revolt" in my high school library. I read the book countless times and it continues to be one of my favorites. I was probably the only kid in my high school whose hero was Menachem Begin.

To this day I read everything I can get my hands on relating to the Irgun and LEHI. I am fascinated with this period of Jewish history and have been fortunate to spend time with Irgun veterans on previous visits to Israel.

2 Comments:

At February 5, 2005 at 10:56:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And how do you see the differences and similarities between the Irgun/Lechi and various terrorist groups (lehavdil)?

-Yankel

 
At March 31, 2006 at 7:56:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

B"H
Yankel,
There are many important differences between the pre-state Hebrew underground and the Arab terrorists of today. Perhaps the most important difference, however, is the motivation behind their actions. The Irgun and Lehi were fighting to establish a Jewish state in the Land of Israel - a noble cause for which there are solid moral, legal and religious claims. The Arab terror groups seek to destroy that Jewish state and kill as many Jews as they can in the process. During World War II the Arabs collaborated with the Nazis in speeding up the "final solution" while at the same time pressuring Britain not to allow Jewish immigration. So while certain actions might seem similar on the surface, the moral purity of the Hebrew underground's objectives are immeasurably greater than the genocidal intentions of today's Arab terrorists.
-Yehuda HaKohen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home