Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Who Is Wise? One Who Listens to George Costanza

I have a trait that I need to overcome. The trait is laziness. I generally don't like to make plans, however after overcoming my initial resistance and desire to do nothing, I am always happy that I actually made plans and went out to the event or got together with the person. Like George Costanza on Seinfeld, my first inclination is usually wrong and the opposite is usually right.

--

Unless you continue to uproot the quality of laziness from within you and plant in its stead diligence and efficiency, your inclination will get the better of you and you will experience spiritual failure.

(Piaceszna Rebbe)

4 Comments:

At February 15, 2005 at 7:13:00 AM EST, Blogger torontopearl said...

Well, ASJ, you're not TOO lazy to be on your computer at 6:45 a.m. and thereabouts!
I think that the lazy factor skipped a generation in my family, and then found me as a target. I, too, hold back from doing whatever for whatever reasons, and often I like others to take the bull by the horns on my behalf. But like you said, once we're up and off our "tuches" there is a kind of satisfaction that lingers.
BTW, see if you can find any quotes from a real or fictional TARNOGRODER REBBE.

 
At February 15, 2005 at 9:12:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As usual, you hit the point so well. I find getting up in the morning the worst, I always seem to find some reason to go to a later minyan (but need to leave early to get to work). All it is, is just mind over matter, a positive attitude. It really is a simple concept, but so difficult in practice.

 
At February 15, 2005 at 11:48:00 AM EST, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Costanza, do the opposite. That is funny, very funny. I like it.

 
At February 15, 2005 at 1:08:00 PM EST, Blogger Stacey said...

Hi AS, I am completely the opposite. I am a planner. And in our family, I take care of all of the money, manage the health issues, etc.

I love to plan trips. And I am so excited because we are planning to spend Pesach (1st and 2nd seders) with my sister and her family in Detroit. I just learned that the airfare went on sale for 178 non-stop from Dallas to Detroit and I just planned the whole thing. Yippee. I am so excited. And G-d willing, my father can make the trip, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home