Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Leaving Just A Few Minutes Earlier

It is amazing what happens when you alter your daily schedule by just a few minutes.

Yesterday I Ieft the office a few minutes early and ran into Shaul, a Polish-born Holocaust survivor, who davens at the shul I used to go to. I have known Shaul for a few years and he even came to my son's bris last year.

Shaul and I were both headed in the same direction and were able to find a seat together and talk. He told me how he survived the war hiding from the Germans in the home of a Polish Catholic family, about his family members who perished during the Holocaust, and about his recent visit back to Poland.

Shaul and I talked about appreciating the little things in life and living simply. Before getting off at his stop, he said, "You just don't realize how your whole life can unravel in the blink of an eye."

3 Comments:

At March 1, 2005 at 9:10:00 AM EST, Blogger Stacey said...

I am always riveted by stories of survivors. I have been reading Psycho Toddler's mother's story and I can't get it out of my mind.

How nice that by leaving a few minutes early you were able to spend time with an old friend.

 
At March 1, 2005 at 10:34:00 AM EST, Blogger torontopearl said...

Let us hope that only good things always come out of "leaving just a few minutes earlier."

 
At March 1, 2005 at 1:01:00 PM EST, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

It is important to remember to take during the day to appreciate what we have.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home