Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Cognitive Dissonance

Those who smoke cigarettes know that smoking will eventually kill them.

Those who suffer from heart problems yet continue to eat unhealthy foods and refrain from exercising know that this too will eventually kill them.

Those who transgress mitzvos yet understand that Hashem created the world and commanded us to fulfill His Torah know that their actions only distance themselves from Him.

Rather than changing their route all of these people continue to trod down the path of cognitive dissonance.

They know, but at times they choose not to know.

--
Note: I am making an observation that is certainly applicable to myself. I do not claim to be anywhere near perfect.

2 Comments:

At April 27, 2005 at 2:10:00 PM EDT, Blogger Jack's Shack said...

That makes a lot of sense, but there is a question here that strikes me. And that is, for the person who is not sure of their belief in Hashem it can be hard to try and be Shomer Mitzvot.

I know people who do not believe, but are Torah observant just in case.

It seems sad to me to do something out of fear of being wrong and not because it is the right thing to do.

 
At April 29, 2005 at 10:06:00 AM EDT, Blogger Fedupx said...

The problem is that it becomes much harder to observe mitzvos when life becomes harder, in the area of Parnossah. Not everyone can be so noble. If I have to take work that I wouldn't have done in my early twenties, like delivering newspapers, in my late 40's, it is hard not to be bitter. Nothing anyone has said or I have read, changes that basic fact.
People want a dignified work (if they had it for 20 years).
If I have to run every time someone flashes a twenty dollar bill if I will clean out their basement, (Or more, but it doesn't really matter), then I can't very well be in love w/ Hashem, to the same extent, as those who call someone in their Shule and get into IDT in a nice eirlich heimish marketing spot.

So I remain in the fold for the sake of my children, because I know that they will be better off, but inside, I would rather spend Shabbos at the beach.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home