Tuesday, May 24, 2005

I Passed The Test!

Back in February I posted about the topic of maintaining composure in the face of insult and ridicule by a difficult co-worker. Over the past few months I have worked hard not to let myself be brought down to my co-worker's level. I took the practical advice offered in the book "The Trail to Tranquility" and looked at this difficult situation as a personal test from Hashem.

Instead of ignoring my co-worker and giving her the "silent treatment", I made sure to great her each morning and speak to her in the friendliest possible manner. During times that she was in a foul mood, I remained silent and simply walked away. I never once responded to her verbal assaults

In my original post I wrote that my co-worker would disappear into thin air when I was successful and had passed this personal test. I am happy to report that I have passed! While she hasn't disappeared into thin air, she has just been transferred to another floor in my building....to a cubicle far, far away.

4 Comments:

At May 24, 2005 at 9:06:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did you get the book? I went on Rabbi Brody's website, and saw that the book won't be released until June 10. Are there advance copies? Thank you for your delightful site.

 
At May 24, 2005 at 9:12:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Shana:

Thank you for your comment. You are correct, the book is scheduled to be available on June 10th. Rabbi Brody sent me an advanced copy (via e-mail attachments) of the book in order to get my feedback prior to its release.

Be sure to buy a copy when it is released. It is truly a WONDERFUL book!!

 
At May 25, 2005 at 11:00:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try
"How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie
great book

 
At May 25, 2005 at 11:57:00 AM EDT, Blogger Alice said...

Congrats on your success! And you know that I second your love of TTTT. It's brilliant. I like how he gives so many ways to interpret negative behaviors that come a person's way; if one doesn't work for you, move to the next one on the list. I know we aren't supposed to focus on being rewarded by God for good behavior, but when people are buttheads to me and I need to remain positive, I think about the soul cleansing benefit I get from the crap they are giving me. And if I can keep my cool, the fact that the sin remains on their tab, as it were. When I respond with anger, we split the check. I might fume about it later, but I get into WAY fewer arguments since reading the book. I have also found that relationships have kind of ended up in two columns: 1) Much better, spend more time together, much closer and 2) Don't even go near them, minimze contact as much as possible.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home