Monday, May 23, 2005

Preparation For Lev Ba'Omer / Tov Iyar

This Thursday (17 Iyar) I plan to post on the topic of the yahrzeit of the Degel Machaneh Ephraim.

Before his yahrzeit each year I try to think of what practical action that I can take to strengthen my hiskashrus (attachment) to him, and thus to Hashem.

Last year I took it upon myself to learn a tiny amount of his sefer after each time that I davened. This was in accordance with his advice that it is extremely important to learn Torah immediately after davening.

Besides learning this sefer after davening, I also learn it on my lunch break each day. Although it would be difficult to increase the length of time that I learn it, I can increase the concentration and enthusiasm in the way I learn. The Degel's nephew, Rebbe Nachman of Breslov, once said "Concentrate on your studies, read the words in order and with enthusiasm. Understanding will then come of itself. What you do not understand at first, you will comprehend later."

This is my plan of hiskashrus for Lev Ba'Omer / Tov Iyar* this year.

--
*Lev (lamed-beis) is the gematria of 32. 17 Iyar is day 32 of the Omer and thus "Lev Ba'Omer".

Tov (tes-vav-beis) is the gematria of 17, and thus the 17th of Iyar is also known as Tov Iyar.

Source: 1942 printing of Degel Machaneh Ephraim

--

You cannot possibly imagine what tremendous pleasure a tzaddik derives when his Torah is studied down on this world. This joy causes his entire Heavenly chamber to radiate with a special brilliance. The tzaddik's blessing then protects the person studying, guarding him and his offspring.

(Tzemach Tzedek)

1 Comments:

At May 24, 2005 at 12:20:00 AM EDT, Blogger Batya said...

About Rabbi Akiva and the plague that killed his students. For awhile I've wondered if the source of the problem was that he and his wife lived apart, because the only reason it gives for the plague has to do with the relationships between the students.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home