Wednesday, May 11, 2005

The Story Behind A Post

My eleven month-old son started saying "Ma Ma Ma" on Sunday night [Mother's Day]. Day-by-day it is fascinating to watch his development and to see his little personality blossom. His soft blonde hair is now hanging down to his eyes.

Why is his hair so long?

If you read my posting of March 25 you probably didn't know what prompted me to write these words. My wife and I were deciding whether or not to observe the custom of upsherin with our son. While upsherin was a wide-spread custom back in the areas in where our families came from, it is a custom that has never been observed by our family since immigrating to this country at the turn of the last century.

After weighing the arguments for and against, it finally came down to the question, "...but what will other people say?" You may not remember the posting, but this was my reply. My wife, the non-conformist, couldn't help but agree with my reasoning.

Neighborhood kids will now be able to gather outside my lil' tzaddik's bedroom window and call out for him to "to let down his golden hair". ...at least for the next two years.

3 Comments:

At May 11, 2005 at 9:04:00 AM EDT, Blogger torontopearl said...

Maybe your wife and daughter can *fight* with your son for the next couple of years over who gets this hair clip, who gets that ponytail holder...!

Being that an upsherin is not a Sephardic minhag -- and I married a Sephardi -- we did not do an upsherin. We started to cut my sons' bangs when the boys were two and the bangs were long. And when my older son was three, we took him to my father's barber, with my father along. Both "eineckle" and "Zaydie" got a haircut that day...and "Zaydie" also got a shave!

Not an official upsherin, but a lovely scene for my father and myself and my husband to remember. (my son certainly wouldn't remember the day!!)

 
At May 11, 2005 at 9:14:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

My son is now eating more food than my wife and daughter combined. If he keeps eating at this rate, he is going to be a long-haired force to be reckoned with ;)

 
At May 11, 2005 at 10:02:00 AM EDT, Blogger torontopearl said...

...a long-haired force to be reckoned with...

Is his name Samson? (or Conan the Barbarian :) )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home