Thursday, June 16, 2005

Afterthoughts From A Conversation On Prayer

A colleague recently related to me two of his personal prayers that really made me stop and think.

G-d, let me see this person [a person who is giving him trouble] as You see him.

G-d, let me see myself as You see me.

I don't know if I am brave enough for the second prayer. It makes me recall the words of the Kotzker Rebbe, "If G-d were to show you your true colors, you would not be able to continue living for one hour."

As for the first prayer, I have modified it for my own use:

"Ribbono shel Olam, may I see my fellow Jew as You see him. May I be able to perceive the holy and pure neshoma inside him."

5 Comments:

At June 16, 2005 at 10:54:00 AM EDT, Blogger Anshel's Wife said...

I'm trying. I'm really trying and I hate finding out that I'm not the person I always thought I was.

 
At June 16, 2005 at 3:19:00 PM EDT, Blogger Tamara said...

WOW, both of those are very simple yet powerful. Isn't that the way things in life tend to be.

 
At June 16, 2005 at 5:23:00 PM EDT, Blogger Pilot Mom said...

Those are two things that I, too, pray fairly often. Thankfully, He not only points out areas that I need improvement on but He is also faithful to show me how He loves me, how tender He is toward me, how precious I am to Him. For that I am extremely grateful.

 
At June 17, 2005 at 1:25:00 AM EDT, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Lots to consider here. I'd like to think that I could live with what the second too.

 
At June 17, 2005 at 10:58:00 AM EDT, Blogger Alice said...

As a person who tends to beat up on myself, I'm comforted by the thought that God would be (and is) much nicer to me than I am to myself, most of the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home