Thursday, June 30, 2005

A Lightning Bug's Lesson

Early each morning while it is still dark outside I walk through a nearby park on my way to work. Along the path in the park I sometimes see deer, rabbits, raccoon, and possum. Yesterday, I noticed lightning bugs for the first time this summer. Encountering a brief flash of light directly in front of me, an idea popped into my head.

Just as a lightning bug creates light from within itself, a Jew performing a mitzvah illuminates the darkness of golus with the light of his G-dly soul.

The lightning bug is truly a living example of what I wrote in this post.

--
For it is You who will light my lamp; Hashem, my G-d, who illuminates my darkness.

(Tehillim 18:29)

5 Comments:

At June 30, 2005 at 10:45:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simon Jacobson made a similar point (in case you missed it), and it's posted at www.mentalblog.com:
http://www.mentalblog.com/archive/2005_04_01_archive.html

 
At June 30, 2005 at 10:52:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Thank you, Golus Traveler. It looks like we derived the same lesson from different sources.

 
At June 30, 2005 at 2:29:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

excellent message, very inspiring. :)

 
At June 30, 2005 at 2:35:00 PM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Malka: Thank you for your kind words.

 
At July 9, 2005 at 7:53:00 PM EDT, Blogger Karl said...

Ki ner mitzva VeTorah Ohr.
For the candle is the mitzva and the Torah is the light.
When we do a mizva, we are shedding G-ds light in to the world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home