Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Eating Like An Animal

Just as I need to be mindful of the words that come out of my mouth, I need to be mindful of the manner in which I put food into my mouth. I am very cognizant that my passion for eating is most manifest at events and simchas where there are buffet tables. After piling a heaping portion of food on my plate I usually return to my table and gobble it down like an animal. Afterwards, I am ashamed with myself for exhibiting such behavior.

The Pele Yoetz taught, "You can strengthen your resolve by taking a vow, or by fining yourself every time you break your resolve." From today on, I resolve not to eat in such a fashion and hereby pledge $18 to tzedakah every time I do so.*

I have used this technique in the past to successfully break other bad character traits, and G-d willing, I will break this one as well.

* Because of the way I ate at a bris on Monday, I sent tzedakah to help others who are without food.

--
A person who eats excessively is like an animal. To be human is to eat only what is necessary.

(Rebbe Nachman of Breslov)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home