Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Manager's Amnesia

It appears that in many cases humility and position occur in inverse proportions.

Rare is the person who remains humble and has attained a certain level of stature in his office. The average person climbs up the ladder of success and soon forgets what it was like to be one of the "little people". He looks down on his subordinates in a condescending manner and heaps piles of menial work on them despite the fact that he too was once one of them.

Thank G-d, I have never had a position where I had to manage other people. It is my sincere hope that I will continue my career without ever having to do so. If I am ever in a management position, I pray that I don't get manager's amnesia and forget my humble beginnings.

I hope I always remember that I too once worked in the basement.

1 Comments:

At July 26, 2005 at 4:53:00 PM EDT, Blogger Zoe Strickman said...

I'm enjoying your little pearls of wisdom. I'm finding it funny that you don't allow comments on them as if their truth stands alone unopposed. I like that.

As for power, power just brings out the person's inner character. Pirkei Avos says that a person should avoid a position of power for the reasons you said. However, with bitul (nullifying your will to G-d's will), a person can do so much good with just a little bit of power. That's my opinion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home