Friday, September 16, 2005

No Time For Patience

On Wednesday night, I went into my 3 year-old daughter's room after she fell asleep. I sat on the floor near her bed and watched her for a few minutes. Sleeping in her soft pink pajamas, she looked like a little angel. Her face and plume of red hair stuck up out of the blanket, and she snored ever so slightly. As I sat there, I realized that everything that I needed in this world was already within my house. I didn't need tomorrow or the next day, I only needed the present.

With this realization, I became aware that I need to learn how to enjoy the process of waiting. I am an impatient person by nature and feel restless until I obtain my goals.

While people commonly say that we need to take time to "smell the roses", how many of us really do this on a consistent basis?

How many of us can truly enjoy the journey before we have reached the destination?

9 Comments:

At September 16, 2005 at 11:46:00 AM EDT, Blogger Shoshana said...

I agree with the importance of enjoying the journey - I think the process is often as important as the goal, it is just hard to remember that sometimes. And sometimes, we get so distracted on our journey, that we never reach our initial destination, but we find so much on the way.

 
At September 16, 2005 at 12:07:00 PM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Shoshana: Thank you for your comment. It is comforting to know that someone else out there shares these views as well.

 
At September 16, 2005 at 2:10:00 PM EDT, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

I am just blown away by how you are able to take something beautiful and meaningful from every seemingly everyday situation and learn something from it. Fantastic.

 
At September 16, 2005 at 2:22:00 PM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Thanks MCAryeh. I guess when you know you don't have material for a posting the next day it gets the mind working.

Coming up with new blog material can be a real challenge. Somedays I just feel like someone hit the pause botton on my brain. Thats why I tend to write my postings a day in advance (today I am writing Monday's posting)

 
At September 16, 2005 at 3:44:00 PM EDT, Blogger Stacey said...

You are so right....life is more about the journey than the destination.

Good Shabbos, ASJ.

 
At September 17, 2005 at 8:26:00 PM EDT, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

That's a very smart way to go about posting, ASJ. Maybe I will try that too...shavua tov!

 
At September 18, 2005 at 6:26:00 PM EDT, Blogger Alan aka Avrum ben Avrum said...

Dear ASJ,

My daughter, now 25 years old and a recent graduate of the Washington University School of Law, was once a mini-prima ballerina who'd prance up and down our driveway while I sang to her the silliest of songs ... she had red hair, round and rosy cheeks like a cherub and I'd fix her hair in the fashion of Pebbles, put both her and Ben in a red wagon, and schlepp them about the neighborhood so that all should see my beautiful babies. So ... you are indeed right ... savor every moment!! I remain ...

Sincerely yours,

Alan D. Busch

 
At September 19, 2005 at 4:05:00 PM EDT, Blogger Moochy said...

Great thought!! just hard to apply in ones daily busy routine.

You made me watch my kids sleep last night, and indeed a house full of angels..

 
At September 19, 2005 at 6:32:00 PM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Moochy: It is rewarding to know that my words have impact on others. Thanks for the comment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home