Thursday, September 29, 2005

Singing To The Nurse

A nurse came over to my house on Tuesday night to take a blood sample as part of the application process for a life insurance policy. My three year-old daughter is quite an extrovert and made sure to introduce her Ernie doll to the nurse while I was filling out all the paperwork at our kitchen table.

As the nurse took blood from my arm, my daughter sang a song she learned in nursery school:

"Mr. Ram, may we use your horn? Need it for a shofar and that is why you were born.

Yes, yes take my horn. Use it for a shofar. Remember how to blow it and don't be such a loafer."

The nurse did not seem to notice the song's subject matter or questionable rhyme. I sat and smiled since I always find it quite humorous when my daughter uses Jewish terminology when speaking with non-Jews. Earlier in the day my wife told me that my daughter told a neighborhood girl about doing mitzvos and asked the girl if her mother sent "mitzvah notes" along with her to school that told the teacher how she helped out around the house. It is obvious that my daughter does not yet quite understand that the whole world is not Jewish. She just continues to sing her little songs:

"Say your brochas loud and clear. Shanah tovah u'mesuka, have a happy, sweet new year."

3 Comments:

At September 29, 2005 at 8:49:00 AM EDT, Blogger torontopearl said...

Reminds me of my kids when they were younger (and sometimes they still do this): we'd go through the aisles of the supermarket and they'd say loudly "IS THIS KOSHER???" And with the typical Jewish mother voice, my daughter still says, "Are they Jewish? Are they religious?"

 
At September 29, 2005 at 9:22:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Pearl: My daughter asks two questions at the supermarket:

1) Is it kosher?
2) Is it on sale?

 
At September 29, 2005 at 11:05:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may want to reconsider your daughter having an Ernie doll. You know what they say about Bert and Ernie, eh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home