Friday, October 28, 2005

Who Are The Tzaddikim In Your Neighborhood?

Today, the 25th of Tishrei, is the yahrzeit of Rebbe Levi Yitzchak of Berditchev.

The appendix to the sefer Kedushas Levi relates the following story of his birth:

At the hour that Rabbi Levi Yitzchak was born in Hoshakov, the Baal Shem Tov offered his disciples cake and brandy. "A great soul came into the world who will be the defender of the Jewish people," he said. He then told his disciples, "Before this soul was destined to descend to this world, Satan complained: "Ribbono shel Olam, this soul will turn the whole world to doing good. It will do away with all evil. What will there be left for me to do?"

G-d reassured Satan saying, "The man who receives this soul will become a rabbi. The troubles and disputes he will encounter won't leave him much time for causing Jews to repent."


During my trip to Ukraine four years ago, I was able to visit the kevarim of tzaddikim in Medzhebuz, Anapol, Slavuta, Polonoye, and Shepetovka. Unfortunately, time did not permit me to visit the kever of this great tzaddik in Berditchev or the kever of Rebbe Nachman of Breslov in Uman. There were so many places that I did not get a chance to visit.

I hope to return one day with my children and show them that their ancestors came from the area that was the birthplace of Chassidus.

8 Comments:

At October 28, 2005 at 9:54:00 AM EDT, Blogger PsychoToddler said...

I actually have some Tzadikim in my neighborhood. I'm too much of an idiot to appreciate them.

 
At October 28, 2005 at 11:08:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Why do you write that you are an "idiot"? I am not sure that I understand.

 
At October 28, 2005 at 12:22:00 PM EDT, Blogger torontopearl said...

I grew up with a father whom I have always deemed a "tzaddik"--not a rabbi, not a leader, not even what one could call truly "frum"-- but an "ehrlichen Yid": a pious, quiety and unassuming and gentle man (very much a GENTLEMAN) who has led a straight and honest life, who does not speak lashon harah, who has made a house a home, who has taught his children by proper examples.

I'm proud and very lucky to be one of his followers!

 
At October 30, 2005 at 1:59:00 AM EDT, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

I wish I had read this post when you posted it...would like to have observed the yartzeit of Rav Levi Yitzchak...I am hoping to visit the Ukraine (and his kever)next year...such a beautiful wish to take your children back there with you.

 
At October 30, 2005 at 6:43:00 AM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Tuesdaywishes: Thanks for your comment. Sounds like there are a lot of tzaddikim in Milwaukee!

MCAryeh: Where else in Ukraine are you planning to visit? I wish I could go along with you!

 
At October 30, 2005 at 10:55:00 AM EST, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

So come! I am hoping to visit many kivrei tzaddikim, as well as do a little genealogical investigating as part of a trip to Uman next Rosh HaSHanah. It is something I have always wanted to do at least once...

 
At October 30, 2005 at 2:37:00 PM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

"at least once" is right. You will probably find that you will want to return many times.

Please remind me what shtetl in Ukraine your ancestors come from. You have told me in the past, but I have forgotten.

 
At October 31, 2005 at 2:41:00 AM EST, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

Mostly my ancestors are not from the Ukraine at all. Only one maternal great-great grandfather was. The shtetls I can trace my family back to are in present-day Belarus.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home