Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Inside Next Year

On Yom Kippur while others were inside reciting Yizkor, I stood outside the shul in my kittel and tallis listening to a man tell me about his elderly father who was on his death bed. I listened to his words and tried to comfort him. While standing there, the thought entered my mind that this would be the last year that this man would be standing outside the shul during Yizkor. Next year he will be inside saying prayers on behalf of his father's neshoma.

Last week, I received word that this man's father passed away on Simchas Torah. I went over to the shiva house on Sunday to offer my condolences. From the look in his eyes, I could tell that the man appreciated my presence.

I continue to think about our conversation from Yom Kippur and wonder what makes me so sure that I too will be standing outside again next year. How do I know that someone will not be inside saying Yizkor for me?

4 Comments:

At November 1, 2005 at 3:13:00 PM EST, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

Very sobering thought. Sometimes I think we would all express our best selves if we were continuously conscious of that, but then really I don't think we would be able to function day to day if thoughts of our demise happening at any time were at the forefront of our minds.

 
At November 1, 2005 at 3:26:00 PM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Yes, perhaps you are right.

 
At November 1, 2005 at 7:38:00 PM EST, Blogger Also A Chussid said...

very well said

 
At November 1, 2005 at 8:24:00 PM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Also A Chussid: Thanks. I appreciate you stopping by.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home