Friday, December 02, 2005

Where I Learn

Around this time every year, I am driven to find a place inside during my lunch break because of the cold weather. During the warmer months I spend every lunch hour on a park bench learning next to a memorial made from cobblestones from the Warsaw Ghetto. I stare down at these cobblestones when I finish learning each day. Despite the fact that these cobblestone seem out of place in their North American surroundings, I try to imagine them in their former location and I think about all of the people who walked over these cobblestones before being sent to the gas chambers in Treblinka.

Every day for the past few years I return to this park bench and learn. Perhaps one day I will learn why I am drawn there and what my learning accomplished in this place.

Cobblestones from the Warsaw Ghetto

10 Comments:

At December 2, 2005 at 11:14:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow... a little intense for a daily routine!
How did those cobblestones get to where you are?

 
At December 2, 2005 at 11:17:00 AM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

They were brought over from Poland for this memorial.

 
At December 4, 2005 at 1:06:00 AM EST, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

Wow is right. I am not sure how I would approach such a place. I can only imagine your learning there must bring some measure of nechama to those who walked those stones in the ghetto...if you don't mind saying, what feelings are brought up for you when you are there?

 
At December 4, 2005 at 6:09:00 AM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

MCAryeh: I think learning in such a place helps me concentrate better than in a place that did not have any significance.

 
At December 4, 2005 at 11:18:00 AM EST, Blogger Tamara said...

Those stones which bore witness to such a catastrophic event still echo through time.

 
At December 4, 2005 at 1:29:00 PM EST, Blogger Gammys Perspective said...

A simple but poignant piece. I think in our modern busy world we sometimes forget our past is right under us and needs to be remembered. It's refreshing to see someone looking to be tought by the past. Keep up the good work. I enjoyed this.

 
At December 4, 2005 at 1:47:00 PM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Tamara & Gammys Perspective: Thanks for your comments. I appreciate your thoughtful words.

 
At December 4, 2005 at 8:58:00 PM EST, Blogger Alan aka Avrum ben Avrum said...

Dear ASJ,

I read you piece very early Friday morning and was so inspired that I began editing a poem that I wrote nearly twenty years ago. I just finished it for the now Sunday night just before 8:00 and posted it in Ben's honor. Thank you very much. I remain,

Sincerely yours,

Alan D. Busch

 
At December 5, 2005 at 6:46:00 AM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Alan: Thank you for sharing that poem.

Zion Report: Indeed you are correct. Thank you for the comment.

 
At September 11, 2006 at 3:30:00 PM EDT, Blogger Neil Harris said...

Very Powerful...very holy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home