Thursday, April 27, 2006

Doctors & Engineers

During his recent visit, my father told me of an interesting phenomenon that he observed at work. He noted that of all his patients, the patients who worked in engineering professions were the most difficult.

Since an engineer desires to understand how everything works, he cannot believe that sometimes there is no "real" reason for his ailment, and often becomes frustrated when unsuccessfully attempting to reverse engineer the diagnosis

In thinking about this phenomenon later, I realized that most of us approach the area of healing as if we were engineers. We fixate on the details and reason why we are sick, and fail to realize that ultimately sickness and health comes from Hashem.

6 Comments:

At April 27, 2006 at 11:31:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simple Jew: Reb Dovid Sears asked to tell you, that he temporary has no access to the Net.

 
At April 27, 2006 at 12:09:00 PM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Yid: Thank you for relaying the message. Does he want me to contact him?

 
At April 27, 2006 at 1:10:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, "reverse engineering" is trying to design a copycat widget based on the thorough inspection, testing, and analysis of one of your competitor's widgets.

Engineers are trained to be practical problem solvers and get really frustrated when the practical solution can't be found using available data, methods, and logic. So it's not so much the lack of understanding that's upsetting (maybe, that's what would upset a scientist), but the failure to solve the problem.

I once foolishly complained to a boss that an engineering problem was hard to solve. He asked me (paraphrase), "What do you think we hired you for?"

 
At April 27, 2006 at 1:28:00 PM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Bob Miller: I appreciate your engineering perspective on this. Thanks!

 
At April 27, 2006 at 3:13:00 PM EDT, Blogger PsychoToddler said...

Actually, my engineers are my best patients. They comply with my directions, take what I prescribe, meticulously document their blood sugars, blood pressures, or medication administration, and show up like clockwork for their appointments.

I wish I had a whole clinic full of Engineers.

Now, doctors, woohoo, there are some BAD patients...

 
At April 27, 2006 at 3:39:00 PM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Interesting perspective. Do doctors always second guess you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home