Friday, July 28, 2006

Maligning Eretz Yisroel


Excerpt from "Yearning for the Holy Land: Hasidic Tales of Israel":

Once Rebbe Yaakov Shimshon of Shepetovka visited Eretz Yisroel for a time. After his stay, he decided to return to his home in order to move his family to Eretz Yisroel.

On the way home, he stopped off at an inn. When he saw himself in the mirror there, he noticed that the long and arduous journey had made him appear gaunt and pale.

He said to himself, "If I return this way after my stay in Eretz Yisroel, my friends will think that the country is unhealthy and I will thus inadvertently, Heaven forbid, be maligning it."

What did he do? He stayed at the inn for a number of days, eating and drinking properly until his appearance reverted back to its normal, healthy state. When he returned to his home, people thought he looked better than when he had left, and all felt how goodly a land it was.


4 Comments:

At July 28, 2006 at 6:57:00 AM EDT, Blogger Paul Illek said...

I don't pretend to understand the theology and philosophy.But just reading the texts on your blog gave me a sense of calm certainty. That's a rare commodity these days.
Where I grew up in England there were many Hassidim, in a way I've felt that you were and are a kind of protection, somehow plugged into something bigger.
So thanks
P

 
At July 28, 2006 at 7:00:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

I appreciate your kind words, Paul.

 
At July 30, 2006 at 4:37:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ASJ, that aerial shot is just magnificent. A different view of our Holy Har HaBayit, the Kidron Valley and I think that is Absolom's kever area. The so so different appearance of the Kidron Valley seems to be waiting to separate, and maybe either divide the land or bring it back together.

I like this areial view but wish I could see more of the surrounding area. I'd like to see it even larger than is currently possible. Where did you get this from? Can we see more?

Kind regards!

 
At July 30, 2006 at 7:25:00 PM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Neshama: These pictures were taken from Google maps.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home