Monday, October 09, 2006

Rhythm Of The Heart: Tehillim: Stories And Insights For The World We Live in Today


When a person says Tehillim every day, he has the tendency to revert to a "motor mouth recitation" instead of trying to connect with the words. For this reason, I always try to read books that help me better appreciate Sefer Tehillim. I was excited when I saw that Rabbi Yitzchak Reuven Rubin released a new three-volume set entitled, "Rhythm of the Heart: Tehillim: Stories and Insights for the World we Live in Today" that included both commentaries and stories relating to each chapter.

This book certainly lived up to my high expectations and I recommend it despite its price. Each chapter of Rubin's book is a self-contained unit relating to an individual chapter of Tehillim. Thus, it would be difficult to simply read this book cover to cover. I have found that by reading a chapter of this book each day, I have felt that my understanding and appreciation of Tehillim has greatly increased.

5 Comments:

At October 10, 2006 at 1:23:00 AM EDT, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

I will add this one to my list of sefarim to get (thanks for yet another great-looking recommendation), but first on my list post-sukkot is Shefa Tal...

 
At October 10, 2006 at 5:33:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always had a difficult time at public gatherings that recite Tehillim; I'm always lines behind because I purposely try to read each word and its meaning to have something enter my neshoma.

Thank you for highlighting this sefer set. I too will add it to my "list of purchases".

P.S. McAryeh, did you ever get to Philly to do your research? I am from Philly and have family at the same cemetery.

 
At October 10, 2006 at 10:47:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I assume this book is a collection of the author's columns in Hamodia - correct ?

 
At October 11, 2006 at 6:42:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

MCAryeh: My pleasure.

Neshama: I am glad this posting was helpful to you.

Anonymous. Yes it is.

 
At February 18, 2016 at 10:51:00 AM EST, Blogger ben120 said...

These were originally published in the Hamodia. for more and current articles please check out his website http://theinformalproject.com/
thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home