Friday, January 19, 2007

"That Is Why They Are The Way They Are"

Received today via e-mail from the Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation:

R' Yissocher Frand relates the following story:

A man came to his Rav with a troubling question. "Rabbi, I don't understand. I come from a very distinguished religious family, I am quite learned and I am meticulous in observing every detail of halachah. Now, Mr. X, as you well know, is a simple man from a simple family. He keeps what he knows, which is not very much. Yet, I have not merited seeing nachas from my children, while every one of Mr. X's children is a gem. Can you explain this?"

"Are you prepared to hear something painful?" asked the Rav.

"Yes," the man replied.

"You entered the business world with nothing and worked very hard to be successful. But your approach was not at all straight; you would bend the rules to accomplish your goals, you could say one thing and mean another. That's what your children saw, that nothing really means anything. However, Mr. X, as you said, is a simple man - simple and sincere. I am certain that he has never told a lie willfully. That is what his children saw and that is why they are the way they are."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home