Thursday, July 26, 2007

Bubblicious & Lo Signov

(Picture courtesy of advantageservice.net)

Reviewing the halachos concerning theft has resensitized me to the incredibly high standard that the Torah sets for us. It also made me recall some of my actions as a child in elementary school that I am not so proud of. While I don't recall exactly what age I was, I do remember my first experience stealing a pack of strawberry-flavored Bubblicious bubble gum at a small neighborhood supermarket. A few years later, my childhood-friend and I pulled off our largest heist which consisted of shoplifting six Star Wars figures from the mall. I am happy to report though, that my days of shoplifting ended there.

However, I noticed that the Torah also considers it to be a subtle form of theft theft when I recently borrowed a co-worker's pen without his knowledge, solely to sign a document and then returned it to his desk.

Kitzur Shulchan Aruch 182:2 states, "Taking a thing of trivial value, that no one would mind, like taking a splinter of a bundle of wood, in order to use it as a toothpick, is permitted. However, it is an act of piousness to refrain from this as well."

Additionally, Kitzur Shulchan Aruch 182:13 states, "It is forbidden to use anything belonging to your fellow without his knowledge. Even if you are certain when the owner finds out he will be happy and elated that you used it, because of his good feelings to you; nevertheless it is forbidden. Therefore, if you enter the orchard or garden belonging to your neighbood, it is forbidden to pluck fruit without the owner's knowledge, even though the owner of the orchard and the owner of the garden is a dear, cherished friend, and certainly will be happy and elated when finding out that you enjoyed his fruit. Nevertheless, since at the present time he knows nothing of this, you are enjoying it unlawfully. It is necessary to warn the public regarding this; for they break this rule for lack of knowledge."

When I looked into this matter a bit further, I found this:

An employee may not use any of his employer's property for personal use without permission from the employer. Therefore, an employee may not use the office telephone, copier, or any other business equipment for non-office use.

If the employee knows that the employer permits such use, even if only reluctantly, he may do so.

If the employer does not permit personal use, but it's well known that many of the workers use his property without permission when he is not looking, it is still prohibited. The fact that "everyone does it" does not in any way create a "Minhag HaMedina" (custom of that society) that would permit such a thing.

Rebbe Nachman of Breslov [Sefer HaMiddos, Geneiva u'Gezeila A:4] adds an interesting insight on the topic of theft from a mystical perspective. Since a person's possessions contain sparks which are specfically connected to his neshoma, Rebbe Nachman taught that one steals something from another person he is not just stealing a physical object, "Stealing, even indirectly, a penny's worth from one's friend is akin to taking his soul and the souls of his children."

Reflecting on my past and also these teachings, I found a teaching from the Pele Yoetz that appears to sum up this issue, "Since it is difficult to return a stolen item which has already been consumed, one who fears Hashem will be carefull not to steal anything even in the slightest amount."

8 Comments:

At July 26, 2007 at 5:36:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am guilty of going on the internet at work and wasting time instead of working, even though it is on my employer's dime. My work is so boring and it is so hard to stop myself. Any help/advice on how I can stop?

-Moishele the Ganav

 
At July 26, 2007 at 6:55:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

You might want to see and subscribe to this series from Frum.org.

 
At July 26, 2007 at 7:10:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moishele:
May be it's a sign that you need to change your work to something that your neshama is drawn to.

 
At July 26, 2007 at 8:52:00 AM EDT, Blogger Unknown said...

This was a fascinating post, ASJ, and I hate to admit that I am guilty of all of these things. Thank you for posting it. Being in a modern office causes so many challenges, from theft to Lashon Hora (not to mention kashrus!). I really struggle with the Lashon Hora issue, as a matter of fact. I wonder if there are any resources on practical halacha in the workplace? Veronique

 
At July 26, 2007 at 9:16:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

simple jew,

thank you. I took a look at that site that you linked to. It's good and it has halachos of geneiva in its various forms. However, I already know what I'm doing is wrong. The problem is not intellectual awareness, but stopping myself.

Anonymous, thank you for the thought. I hadn't thought of that, though I am working on that as well. I'm looking for a job in a related field that I'm more interested in. But that doesn't make it okay. :-( Thank you!

-Moishele the Ganav

 
At July 26, 2007 at 11:08:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it gets better: we have to be aware when speaking to people that we're not "stealing" their time.

 
At July 26, 2007 at 11:10:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Thank you for bringing that up. I once addressed that topic here

 
At July 27, 2007 at 12:04:00 AM EDT, Blogger Neil Harris said...

Great perspective on an aspect of a mitzvah that we all overlook.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home