Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Aron Ralston On Hashgocha Pratis


Excerpt from Between a Rock and a Hard Place:

Understanding my responsibility for my circumstances placates my anger. My despondency remains, but I stop striking out against the rock. One thought in particular circulates over in over in my mind: "Kristi and Megan were angels sent to save me from myself, and I ignored them." Everything happens for a reason, and part of the beauty of life is that we're not allowed to know those reasons for certain, though on this question, my conviction grows. They might not have had wings and harps, but Kristi and Megan came into my life to fulfill a purpose. They were trying to spare me from my accident. I am convinced that they somehow knew what was going to happen to me. Again and again I think about Kristi's last question - "What kind of energy do you think you'll find down there?" - and about their repeated urgings, but my stubbornness and ambition had closed my brain in a lock. I did get myself into this. Somehow, in some convoluted way, it's what I have been looking for in my life. How else did I come to be here? We create our lives. I don't fully understand why, but little by little I get that somehow I've wanted something like this to happen. I've been looking for adventure, and I've found it.

2 Comments:

At May 1, 2008 at 11:51:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you liked the book- did you actually read it from my recommendation? Maybe I will do some more book posts- I read at least one book per week.

 
At May 1, 2008 at 12:05:00 PM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Yes, I read it because your recommendation and almost fainted at the description of when he was forced to cut of his arm. I did think the book was excellent though.

Taking another one of your recommendations, I am actually reading "A Walk in the Woods" right now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home